Friday, August 1, 2008

Compartiendo Vida- Sharing Life

One more week here in Venezuela! I am trying to soak it all in. I realized after my last post that though I did not feel like I had anything to offer, simply sharing life is what I came for in the first place. I have learned so much here and one of the greatest lessons is how important relationships are. Here, time stops for a friend. Here, it is more important to be with your brother/ sister in need than to accomplish your to-do list. Here, time is not passing by so much as it simply is. Sharing with one another means both ways. So often, I will sit and listen to a friend who is struggling, but I rarely share my struggles or hurts with someone. Here, they understand that we´re in this together- we need each other. We cannot do it alone. We weren´t meant to live life alone. I am so thankful for the time I have had here to learn if only this one thing. I want to return and starting living with others- sharing- listening- being with those around me.
While I did find a way to offer what little money I had left to the district, I realized that in offering myself, I have been able to learn and share with the people here. Just the other night, it was the birthday of one of Rodolfo´s daughters- 16 yrs old! We threw her a surprise party and sang songs in to the night. As I sat there singing a song they requested in English (Everything by Lifehouse- a song they all love!) I thought to myself ¨There is not another place I would rather be than right here, sharing this song/ sharing my life with my dear friends here.¨

1 comment:

Terri said...

Hi, Chris! Having caught up with your log and pictures, you are wise beyond your years. In reading Desiring God by John Piper this summer, he states that our chief end is to glorify God and enjoy him forever! It seems you are doing just that by stepping into every opportunity to love people and listen to HIM--WOW! Have a safe trip back--blessings to you--thx for inviting me to share in your life in Venezuela---
I don't know what your future plans are but Lemon Grove does have primary openings I noticed today checking in--even a temp at MV. I'd love to see you back here and if you decide to apply--let me know--I will certainly recommend you!

God Bless, Terri Nelson