Sunday, July 27, 2008

Dos Semanas Mas

There are less than two weeks left before I head back to the United States. I cannot believe it! I look back and think about all that I have been able to do. And the perspective I had when arriving (terrified and scared out of my pants) so much has happened and so much has changed. I am still trying to process all that has taken place here, the lessons I learned- about God, this culture, myself, the church, prayer, so much... Some lessons have been more memorable than others, but I am thankful for them all. Right now, I am really trying to figure out how I am going to thank the people that have taught me so much and shared with me the past two months. My initial plan to collaborate with each family did not work out quite as I had planned, figures. But I have some other ideas. I am reading ¨Three Cups of Tea¨ right now and it is incredible. I highly recommend it, if you have not read it. Every time I read a part of it, I want to set off and do something huge and grand here in Venezuela to really help and make a difference. (For those of you don´t know- the basis of the book is an American mountain climber decides to build a school for an isolated village near K2). I am disappointed at times when I look at how little money I have to offer or thinking I am just a recent college grad who took a vacation in Venezuela. I do feel this has been so much more and different than a vacation- teaching classes, speaking to churches, building houses, cold showers, skipping meals because the family you´re with can´t afford it, etc. There is one need that I have identified as something I want to do what I can to help- the family of Rodolfo (the superintendent who put my whole trip together) is in need of a vehicle. It is a great necessity here for a family of 7 and for ministry as pastor of a church and superintendent of the district. It is a bit more expensive here to purchase a car that is sure to be quality- by quality I mean a 1980´s car/ truck in working condition- around $6-7,000. I am still figuring out how I can help. But for now, I am praying and listening for ways to help this amazing family as much as I can.
This next week will be spent in San Cristobal. Then I head to camp with the adolescents of all the Nazarene churches in Venezuela. I am pretty excited! It should be a lot of fun!
I have to run, but I will try to get another post up this week before I head to camp and then back home!

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers! They have truly made a difference!

1 comment:

B-True said...

Wow Chris I am so proud of the way things are going. Because as you can probably tell, it is not for your plans that God sent you there it is for his. And I thank Him for His answering all our prayers by keeping you safe and ever willing to shine His light through your actions. It is amazing to think that you set off almost two months ago and now time is almost gone by too fast, to the point I think it was just yesterday that I promised I would call you before your trip. I AM Really Sorry, about not getting back to you before you left there is so much that I could have taken from listening to you even before you left.

I am still struggling with prayer, even with taking the time to just stop and thank God for the beautiful days we've been having. It's just so hard these days and I can only hope that God knows how much I need and want you back home safely. I don't think I ever told you how much I look up to Grandpa and Grandma Kernutt, but it's because of the way they live and praise God through their everyday actions. I have only been able, so far in my life to look at their example and dream of myself following in their ways. And now reading and looking at the progress and actions you have taken. I don't know how to say it. But you are achieving the very things I aspire to be and do in life. I want you to know that I look up to you and that I look forward to talking with you and finding ways that I can become a true child of God. I love you Bro, Brothers in blood and through Christ.

Brandon