Saturday, June 28, 2008

Primera Semana

Its been one week, but it feels like three! Where do I begin? I arrived late Thursday night and was picked up by Kim Haddon (one of the translators I worked with the last time I came). I was surprised she recognized me! I spent the next few days at a camp with Craig and Gail Zickefoose and the superintendents of the Nazarene church in Venezuela. I was in the kitchen with Isaiah most of the time helping cook- I´d never had to pluck feathers off a chicken before! I enjoyed talking with him (that was one of the biggest fears of mine, speaking Spanish and frustrating the people I am trying to talk with). But, I have to say, that everyone I have tried to talk with has been more than willing to talk with me and help me learn.
From the camp I traveled with Rodolfo to San Cristobal on a bus overnight. It was the coldest bus I have ever been on. The air conditioning was on full the entire time! But we had a good time- I shared a protein bar with Rodolfo for our dinner and the look on his face when he took his first bite was priceless. I wonder what he thinks of American food, that wasn´t the best example, but its all I had. :)
That Saturday, we went to the church in Rubio where the jovenes (young adults) of each church did a little presentation- music or the Word. I was presented to the churches as the volunteer that would be spending a week with each church. I did not expect them to be as excited as they were! After the presentations, groups of people came up and asked me when I would be coming to their church- which I honestly answered ¨Yo no se¨ ( I dont know). I would be later informed by Rodolfo where and with whom I would be staying. I got pretty stoked for what was ahead after that little gathering!
This past week I have been blessed to spend it in Michelena with la familia de Serefin (uno hermano de Rodolfo). From the moment I got in the car with the family (all 8 of them!) I knew this week would be full of laughter and good times! The entire drive Serefin kept telling me how his children are crazy in response to their singing and attempts at speaking English. It was great! The week was full of lots of fun, but also some work. Serefin is building a new house for his family and this past week we poured the concrete floor and built 11 concrete pillars. I spoke twice at his church, both times I was told less than an hour prior to and was asked to speak for 20-30 minutes- I think I spoke for a total of 25 minutes. It caught me off guard because they wanted me to ¨preach¨ (predicaon) and I had no idea what to talk about, but for the past year or so the word ¨Go¨ and the idea of movement in the Bible has been on my heart and mind, so I focused on that. It seemed to go well, and I learned a lot from it as well. I have also been teaching ingles to any children (and adults) that come in the afternoons. Its been raining a lot, so not as many have come, but Serefin asked if I would like to stay another week and I gladly accepted his offer. This next week will be more work at the house and teaching classes (musica y ingles) in the afternoon. I am looking forward to it!
I do have to say that although I am speaking more Spanish and am not as worried about trying, I do get a bit annoyed with myself for not being able to express myself. However, I wrote in my journal before I arrived (here are my exact words) ¨I wish I could be funny in Spanish¨ and it has not been a problem at all for people to laugh after I talk- not sure if its at me or with me, but I don´t really care. Its worth it to see people smile!
Here´s my tentative schedule for the next few weeks (although its likely to change- I take it one day at a time. I never know what I´m doing when I wake up in the morning, its quite exciting! ) Michelena for another week, then Colon, to Bramon, to Rubio, to San Josecito, to San Cristobal and then back to camp. I´m not sure when I will be able to update again (I tried in Michelena and in 45 minutes I saw 2 pages on the internet).
I miss you all and am praying/ thinking of you often. Thank you for your encouragement and prayers!

2 comments:

MDR said...

Hey there,
Thanks for the update, it was great to hear from you. It does sound exciting as well as exhausting. I am sure everyone is loving you and your sense of humor. God is moving through you and just so you don't think its all you, He has a sense of humor as well. We are so proud of you and pray for your safety and health, as well as being a wine skin pouring out the love and message of God to all you encounter. Blessings and love from MD&R

B-True said...

Yo Bro, like the last person said, I'm glad to know that you're having a good time and hope that it will continue. I guess the part of your posting that I can identify with the most is the part that you don't care if people are laughing at you or with you, it's jsut worth it to see them smile. I also want to praise you and God for being able to use you as a disciple to all nations, You are truly a blessing for all that come to you, really. I so much want to be there with you and experience the joy, and perhaps the longing for home. But like I said I can truly see God working through you, and want you to know I seriously consider you one of his disciples. Loe you loads, and may God's blessings be upon you, your Bro, Brandon